2 days until Earth Day;
8 days until Arbor Day;
15 days until Cinco de Mayo;
24 days until Mother's Day;
36 days until the start of Ramadan;
39 days until Memorial Day;
45 days until Pentecost;
55 days until Flag Day;
62 days until the Summer Solstice;
66 days until the end of Ramadan;
66 days until Father's Day;
75 days until Independence Day (July 4);
137 days until Labor Day;
565 days until the 2018 mid-term elections; and
1,371 days until the end of Donald Trump's term as President, assuming he doesn't resign or is otherwise removed from office.
On this day in 1999, two senior students at Columbine High School in Colorado, Eric David Harris and Dylan Bennet Klebold, killed 13 and injured 24 others in the Columbine High School massacre. The two then committed suicide in the library, where they had killed ten of their victims.
Among other things, today is also Lima Bean Respect Day.
The New York Times' On This Day for today.
Florida man bites dog. "I'm obviously not happy about it," said Jessica Wenner, the suspect's girlfriend and dog's owner.
Some persons born on April 20 who said interesting things:
- Pietro Aretino (1492-1556), satirist, created modern literate pornography;
- Peter S. Beagle (1939), American novelist and screenwriter (The Last Unicorn);
- Dinah Craik (1826-1887), English novelist and poet;
- Maurice Duplessis (1890-1959), Canadian lawyer and politician;
- Sebastian Faulks (1953), British novelist, journalist and broadcaster;
- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945), Austrian-German soldier and politician, Chancellor of Germany;
- Jessica Lange (1949), American actress;
- Robert Wilson Lynd (1879-1979), Irish writer;
- Joan Miró (1893-1983), Spanish painter and sculptor;
- José Norosky (1930), Argentine notary public abd writer;
- Philippe Pinel (1745-1826), French physician, founder of modern psychiatry;
- Odilon Redon (1940-1916), French artist;
- George Takei (1937), American actor, director, author, and activist of Japanese descent; and
- Andrew Tobias (1947), American writer
(The KGB Quotations Database currently contains 50,543 entries.)
Quote of the day:
"If you want to annoy your neighbors, tell the truth about them."
Lost city found: Etzanoa of the great Wichita Nation. Really. But the jokes came, anyway: "An archaeologist is claiming he's discovered an amazing lost city in Kansas. He didn't realize he'd just got drunk and watched the Wizard of Oz."-Conan O'Brien
Trillions of plastic bits, swept up by current, are littering Arctic waters.Every year, about eight million tons of plastic gets into the ocean, and scientists estimate that there may be as much as 110 million tons of plastic trash in the ocean. Though the environmental effects of plastic pollution are not fully understood, plastic pollution has made its way into the food chain. Plastic debris in the ocean was thought to accumulate in big patches, mostly in subtropical gyres- big currents that converge in the middle of the ocean- but scientists estimate that only about one percent of plastic pollution is in these gyres and other surface waters in the open ocean.
Prejudice AI? Machine learning can pick up society’s biases. Swell. Skynet with Archie Bunker's attitude...
Have a good weekend. See you Monday.
As you see, KGB Report is now a daily effort, and I'd appreciate it if you can share us with your friends and, perhaps, click on the link below and become a patron, or send a donation to me here in the KGB Kave at 1512 Annette Avenue, South Park, PA 15129. Aside from some consulting work, KGB Report, other writing efforts and partial Social Security retirement benefits are looking more and more like my main source of income. So if you like us, chip in a buck or ten every month to keep us on the air. Becoming a patron will also get you free copies of any books we publish on Amazon or Kindle in the coming year. Thanks for your support!
Categories: The Daily KGB Report