6 days until Presidents' Day;
14 days until Mardi Gras;
15 days until Ash Wednesday;
26 days until Daylight Saving Time begins;
31 days until St. Patrick's Day;
34 days until the arrival of Spring;
54 days until Palm Sunday;
55 days until First Day of Passover;
50 days until April Fools' Day;
59 days until Good Friday;
60 days until Easter Sunday;
62 days until US Federal Income Tax filing day;
63 days until Last Day of Passover;
67 days until Earth Day;
72 days until Arbor Day;
629 days until the 2018 mid-term elections; and
1,436 days until the end of Donald Trump's term as President, assuming he isn't impeached.
On this date in 1876, Alexander Graham Bell and Elisha Gray each independently applied for a patent for the telephone. Bell was the first to be awarded a patent #174,465 for the electric telephone by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in March 1876. The Bell patents were forensically victorious and commercially decisive. That first patent by Bell was the "master patent" of the telephone, from which other patents for electric telephone devices and features flowed.
Among other things, today is also Frederick Douglass Day. You know, the guy mentioned by Trump... "Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who has done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice," Trump said.
The KGB Quotations Database contains 48,558 quotations.
Some persons born on February 14 who said interesting things:
- Jack Benny (1894-1974), American comedian, vaudevillian, radio, television and film actor, and violinist;
- Carl Bernstein (1944), American investigative journalist and author.;
- Michael Bloomberg (1942), American businessman, author, politician, and philanthropist;
- Frederick Douglass (1817-1895), African-American social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer, and statesman;
- Hugh Downs (1921), American broadcaster, television host, news anchor, TV producer, author, game show host, and music composer;
- Florence Henderson (1934-2016), American actress and singer;
- Jim Jeffries (1977), Australian stand-up comedian, actor and writer;
- Thomas Robert Malthus (1766-1834), English cleric and scholar;
- George Jean Nathan (1882-1958), American drama critic and magazine editor;
- Simon Pegg (1970), English actor, comedian, screenwriter, and producer;
- Teller (1948), American magician, illusionist, actor, comedian, writer, director; and
- Paul Tsongas (1941-1997), American politician
Quote of the day:
"Every person should have their escape route planned."
The Missing Apex of Maslow's Hierarchy could save us all. But judging from that dull stare and lip drool, you don't look self-actualized.
Playboy magazine is "taking our identity back and reclaiming who we are" by by announcing the return of photographs of nude women, beginning in the next issue. Now maybe this will lift the curse God placed on our country when Playboy pulled the plug on naked ladies last year.
According to a study published in the journal Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews and highlighted by New Scientist, your dog knows when you're being an asshole, and it uses that information to decide how it should interact withother humans. So, yes, your dog is judging you, too.
If you can't beat the machine, better to become one. Elon Musk says humans must merge with machines or become irrelevant in AI age. Someone better bring him up to speed about the Borg.
Astronomers catch a supernova just as its big boom begins. he explosion was first identified just three hours after it occurred, and the first spectrum was taken within six hours of the initial event. Check out the link for a fascinating photo.
As you see, KGB Report is now a daily effort, and I'd appreciate it if you can share us with your friends and, perhaps, click on the link below and become a patron, or send a donation to me here in the KGB Kave at 1512 Annette Avenue, South Park, PA 15129. Aside from some consulting work, KGB Report, other writing efforts and partial Social Security retirement benefits are looking more and more like my main source of income. So if you like us, chip in a buck or ten every month to keep us on the air. Becoming a patron will also get you free copies of any books we publish on Amazon or Kindle in the coming year. Thanks for your support!
(Unless otherwise noted, all citations are from Wikipedia.)
Categories: The Daily KGB Report